Dr. Jacqueline Fulop Goodling is not only New York City's premier Invisalign orthodontist, but she sits on Invisalign’s faculty bureau certifying orthodontic residents and teaching other orthodontists beginner and advanced Invisalign courses around the world. Out of 55,000 Invisalign providers in North America, Dr. Jacquie is one of twenty five Invisalign providers with the honor of being an Invisalign and Align Technology, Inc. faculty member. As an Invisalign faculty member, Dr. Jacquie has lectured at the largest and most prestigious dental conventions in the U.S. and globally. She has lectured at the largest dental conventions such as; the GNYDM (Greater New York Dental Meeting) at the Jacob Javits Center, the JDIQ (Journees Dentaires Internationales du Quebec) in Montreal, FNDC (Florida National Dental Convention) in Orlando and the most prestigious orthodontic convention; the AAO (American Association of Orthodontists).
Align Technology, Inc., the parent company of Invisalign has established different tier levels to help patients choose an Invisalign provider based upon the number of patients treated and experience level. The highest level, granted to less than a dozen Invisalign providers in all of North America, is known as the Super Elite Provider level. Dr. Jacquie is recognized by Invisalign as a Super Elite Provider and is one of the top 10 doctors and #1 female provider in North America.
Dr. Jacqueline Fulop Goodling was in the first group of orthodontists to be certified by Invisalign in the Northeast in 1999. As the first female and youngest Director of the Predoctoral Orthodontic Department at Boston University’s Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Dr. Jacquie was flown to NYC, to listen, learn and be certified (at the time) by a new clear braces system, which was digitally simulated for the first time, at the Grand Hyatt Hotel on 42nd Street in Manhattan. She started doing research on its capabilities and brought the knowledge back with her to her 2nd, 3rd, 4th year dental students and orthodontic residents at B.U. (Dr. Jacquie said, “She liked to push the envelope to see what this clear braces system could do and there was no one better to have pushed that envelope than my bright students at B.U.)
Now, with well over 2,000 satisfied Invisalign Adult and Invisalign Teen patients and 10,000 orthodontists, dental students and orthodontic residents personally certified, Dr. Jacquie’s professional and academic experience makes her the most experienced specialist when it comes to perfecting you, your child or teenager’s smile with the clear Invisalign braces system.
In September 2005, Dr. Jacqueline Fulop Goodling became Invisalign’s National Spokesperson for a consumer awareness hygiene campaign. In 2009, Dr. Jacquie became Invisalign’s Spokesperson for Invisalign TEEN and helped launch it for Align Technology, Inc. on the Tyra Bank’s show. (You can see Dr Jacquie on Tyra Banks by going to www.youtube.com and put in tyra banks & invisalign teen to see Dr. Jacquie)
Dr. Jacquie's New York area practices include offices in Woodbury, Long Island and Monroe. Her flagship office is conveniently located next to Grand Central Station in the middle of Manhattan on 40th Street (between Park & Madison Avenue). At each of her three thriving offices, patients receive full-service, concierge-like, white-glove dental and orthodontic care. All of the offices cater to adult, teens and children who have either had orthodontic treatment previously and never wore their retainers (causing their teeth to relapse) or patients who are first-timers.
Dr. Jacquie and her talented team are comprised of highly trained associates and technicians. Several of Dr. Jacquie’s current associates were her former students and they graduated at the top of their classes from their prospective dental schools and residency programs at Columbia, NYU and Harvard. They provide an array of services and are exceptional diagnosticians helping adults with restorative work like implants, bridges, crowns, veeners, laminates and Lumineers. With children Dr. Jacquie and her team aid in diagnosing early orthodontic intervention when necessary for pediatric patients. i.e., palate expanders, head gear, tongue thrust and thumb-sucking inhibitors. The team also helps manage patients with adult and pediatric dental cleanings and regular hygiene visits with referrals to qualified doctors.
Many patients would like to know if they can whiten their teeth once they start to straighten them. Dr. Jacquie and her team will help educate each patient individually with regard to the most ideal time, product and procedure so that they can get the most benefit from the whitening treatment option a patient chooses. They offer an array of teeth whitening options such as; Zoom Laser Whitening, Dash, Night White & Day White Custom Tray Whitening Systems, Crest White Strips . The team will make suggestions on the different whitening products, depending upon the orthodontic treatment you are undergoing. For instance, Night White & Day White can be placed into the Invisalign tray, called aligners, during treatment and you don’t have to wait until your done with your Invisalign treatment to finish to have sparkly white teeth. With braces, the teeth are whitened prior to placing the brackets or braces on. Custom whitening trays (fabricated for each patient individually) and a take home whitening agent can also be ordered, and it is the most requested treatment option, after Zoom laser whitening, for Invisalign patients.
Traditional Braces vs. Invisalign Braces
As an orthodontist, Dr. Jacquie and her team’s goal is to establish the most ideal smile for each patient individually. Dr. Jacquie said, “Every orthodontist is different and every patient’s smile is unique. Choosing an orthodontist is like choosing a plastic surgeon. Orthodontists are frequently referred to as “the plastic surgeons of dentistry”. For example, if you go to 5 different plastic surgeons for a consultation for a nose job, called a rhinoplasty, you can end up with 5 differently shaped noses. This is exactly the same as going to 5 different orthodontists to improve your smile and the health of your bite, known as occlusion. You will end up with 5 different smiles! Some orthodontists will broaden your smile, to enhance it, while others will either slenderize your teeth or extract a tooth if you have a lot of crowding, to make room. Still other orthodontists will tip teeth forward which can either improve or change and hinder your profile.
Dr. Jacquie said, “If I was a patient, my #1 piece of advice is simple. ASK! During your consultation, just ask for TWO things.”
1. Ask how many patients a doctor has treated with Invisalign or braces: If you are interested in Invisalign then make sure they have the experience level from treating a lot of patients with Invisalign and or the same with braces! (Most general dentists have never placed braces on and have minimal orthodontic training!!!!)
IF the orthodontist or general dentist tells you that you DO NOT QUALIFY FOR INVISALIGN, go to another doctor! Plain and simple. General dentists may NOT HAVE THE EXPERIENCE LEVEL to correct your smile with Invisalign, if your smile is a more difficult or complex one to correct. As a general dentist, they perform a lot of different procedures and you would like to find one that has done enough cases, especially if you have a difficult malocclusion or “bad bite”. Always remember, that a specialist has additional training in whatever specialty you are seeking. For instance, an orthodontist was a general dentist at one time who went back to a full time residency program, after dental school, for an average of THREE ADDITIONAL YEARS FULL TIME to study ONLY how to correct your smile with braces and Invisalign.
2.Ask to see the orthodontist’s initial and final smiles before and after the Invisalign and/or braces of their own personal patients...and not stock photos. (ask to make sure that they are the patients of that doctor and they did not purchase them or are utilizing promotional and marketing photos from the company.
IN LIFE, IF YOU DON’T ASK, YOU’LL NEVER KNOW.
Traditional Braces vs. Invisalign Braces
Dr. Jacquie said, “As an orthodontist, if I have a patient that would like the nicest smile possible and they come to me saying that they don’t mind wearing traditional braces or Invisalign, I usually tell them that both traditional braces and Invisalign have benefits but that the removable clear Invisalign braces are exceptionally more comfortable and have more benefits.
Then I list and discuss the benefits of Invisalign and here they are:
Benefits of Invisalign over Braces:
1. Virtually Invisible - they are clear an esthetic and are less noticeable than traditional braces
2. Removable – they can come off which is great so that you can brush and floss your teeth easier and also eat whatever you would like. (The removable part can be an advantage and disadvantage – see below)
3. Comfortable – you do not have any “pokey” wires or braces irritating you or rubbing your cheeks, lips and tongue. It is also comfortable because you do not have to worry about the braces falling off or wires breaking.
4. Halitosis and Hygiene – you have a more pleasant smell in your mouth because it is easier to keep your teeth clean. It may sound gross but when you can’t get to certain areas in your mouth while brushing and flossing, the food and debris starts to break down, rot and stink. PEW!
5. LESS Pain – Invisalign is less uncomfortable when it comes to your braces and orthodontic adjustments than traditional braces. This is because you change your trays, called aligners, every two weeks. Therefore, in the course of a month, you have two adjustments which makes it 50% less uncomfortable. On the flip side, you are 50% MORE COMFORTABLE with LESS PAIN with Invisalign than traditional braces.
6. GREAT for a busy person. The visits are less frequent with the Invisalign braces than they are with traditional braces. Dr. Jacquie said, “Invisalign is developed for busy adults and teens and it seems like both us and the teenagers seem to keep getting busier every day with increase in work hours and more sporting games and school studying load.”
7. YOU get to SEE the END BEFORE you BEGIN: Dr. Jacquie said that one of her favorite parts of the Invisalign treatment is that patients can visualize their end result with an estimate of what their smile will look like by utilizing Invisalign’s proprietary software, called “Treat”. “I get to show my patients MY NUMBERS and MY MEASUREMENTS of how I would like their smile to look like at the end, BEFORE, they even place their first tray or aligner into their mouth! I LOVE THAT and so do my patients. I compassionately remember something one of my Harvard professors from B.U. once said.” Dr. Blau said, “Always remember that most of your patient’s teeth did not become crooked over night. It took years for the spaces or crowding to happen.” I translate that into, “If you watched your teeth every day, it would be difficult to see any movement occurring. It would be like watching your hair growing. BUT, there is no better motivational tool out on the market that gives you an estimate or idea of what your smile will look like at the end – before starting besides Invisalign’s digital patient image called clincheck.
Dr. Jacquie's top priority is ensuring that her patients are as comfortable and happy with their treatment as possible, because we know a happy patient is a compliant patient. Dr. Jacquie considers her patient’s lifestyles and unique needs when determining what treatment option is best suited for them. For instance, many of our patients aren’t even from the NY area. We have patients that will fly in from South America, Europe and many that are bicoastal and are from the west coast. In these cases, our patient’s busy lifestyle makes it too difficult for them to come for monthly visits, and in these instances Invisalign Teen or the Invisalign adult product might be a better fit. Busy families with multiple schedules to coordinate often appreciate having less frequent maintenance appointments without compromising their treatment results.
Many younger patients would like to experience the "colors" of braces and enjoy expressing themselves with different color arrangements on their traditional braces, which are changed during monthly adjustment visits. We place different colors for different occasions. Red, white and blue is popular during Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, while orange and black is excellent during Halloween. We place team sports colors on like orange and blue for the Mets and blue and white for the Yankees (sorry Red Sox fans…we don’t get many of you).
One of the most popular questions Dr. Jacquie is asked is about the cost of invisible braces. Like any treatment, that cost differs per patient depending on their needs, the length of treatment and the location of treatment (the market for Invisalign is differs in different parts of the country). Her patients' beautiful smiles are Dr. Jacquie's trademark. Dr. Jacquie herself determines every single treatment plan for each and every patient and it is the job of her highly qualified associates and technicians to ensure that her treatment plan is carried out successfully. Dr. Jacquie's team of orthodontic and dental associates, and technicians are well-loved by patients and in the case that a patient has a question or an issue they'd prefer to discuss with Dr. Jacquie directly, she's always available to them.
There are many celebrity patients in Invisalign!
Just to name a few in Invisalign are: Katherine Heigel & Oprah.
Just to name a few in Invisalign Teen are: Justin Bieber & Miley Cyrus
Dr. Jacquie is also the author of a groundbreaking double-blind study that compared the effects of braces versus Invisalign treatment on identical twins. Additionally, Dr. Jacquie's ongoing commitment to educational research and orthodontic excellence has established her as a true leader of the orthodontic and dental community - she is a popular lecturer on the Invisalign panel of Faculty members and she is frequently called on by peers for guidance on various dental and orthodontic cases.